PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop elements or ****

Optimistichornet
23-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Hey all,

just back from my venture in the world of stud farming and am now able to spend some more time on graphic design.

just wondering what programs people use to design graphics.

up until recently i was using a photoshop se program that came preinstalled with my laptop, however i became narked off with the limited interface and the programs insistence that i buy the full version.

so instead i downloaded **** after hearing good things about it, and whilst im still learning the ropes i have to say that i am thoroughly impressed. its relatively easy to use and seamlessly integrates images.

has anyone else used **** and if so what do you think of it?

Smithy
23-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Heard of both, Photoshop is the best photo editing/creating software out there but it does cost a ton. Unless you obviously get the pirated version. Its also quite hard to use for begginers. Ive never used **** but I hear that its a very good copy of photoshop and its free which is obviously better.

Optimistichornet
23-08-2009, 11:34 PM
yeah i was put off photoshop by the staggering asking price. also its extremely complicated to get the knack off.

i would certainly recommend **** to anyone without a full copy of photoshop.

Evasive
24-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Has anyone else used **** and if so what do you think of it?

I have used **** and I have to say that it works quite well. When you add the fact that it is free it has quite a lot going for it.

north wales yellow
24-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Just downloaded **** now, will have a play around with it, any tips?

Optimistichornet
24-08-2009, 09:12 AM
north wales - not really, its fairly simplistic so i would just spend 30mins or so seeing what it can do.

as evasive says for a freeware program, it is incredibly thorough.

Emmawfc
24-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Never used ****, always used either photoshop / paint shop pro / corel photo paint at school.
Whats the interface like on ****? Is is so similar to ps?

Hornmeister
24-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I did a google search for **** and found some very odd sites???

Smithy
24-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I did a google search for **** and found some very odd sites???

http://www.****.org/

Hornmeister
24-08-2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.****.org/

Thanks but
:whoosh:

or is it

:tumbleweed:

north wales yellow
24-08-2009, 04:05 PM
north wales - not really, its fairly simplistic so i would just spend 30mins or so seeing what it can do.

as evasive says for a freeware program, it is incredibly thorough.

Thanks

Keano
25-08-2009, 02:38 PM
the full version of photoshop is a very powerful tool...but such array of features can be quite daunting when starting to learn.

However i feel elements is still a vaulable tool and u can do most common things on it...full version just has more tricks up its sleeve to get a particular task done. i had elements for quite a while with no need for the full version or its wallet burning price....and it served me well and easy to drop into the full version later.

Optimistichornet
25-08-2009, 05:19 PM
keano - are you the keano, as in keany, as in keany of berkhamsted collegiate school and now off loughborough, the damn filthy aussie loving scummer?

if so nice to meet you, but do you know who i am?

Keano
25-08-2009, 06:26 PM
hey mate i rubbed every glorious aussie wicket to my dad (via text hes in scotland lol)

u back from the farm yet....

oh and no idea who u are ;)

Optimistichornet
25-08-2009, 11:01 PM
hehe keano yer you hit the nail on the head. yer work on the stud was good thanks. how long until your heading back to loughborough?

did you go to the forest game with will?

im back from devon at the start of next week, enjoying a bit of a holiday at the moment. will be around for about a week before i move into my new student house, it has a conservatory dont you know.

Keano
26-08-2009, 11:16 AM
yer i did go forrest game, will didnt come though..let down. prob not heading back till end of sept.... prob after the reading away ;)

mark_work
26-08-2009, 12:10 PM
**** is very good for those who know what they are doing with photo manipulation. For those with less experience I've found the best freebie application is paint.net:

http://www.getpaint.net

poleman
30-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Testing my first ever sig pic...

Optimistichornet
30-08-2009, 05:17 PM

i like it poleman, not a bad effort ;)

are you going to take part in the september comp?

poleman
30-08-2009, 07:35 PM
i like it poleman, not a bad effort ;)

are you going to take part in the september comp?

I may have a go, but imagination isn't my strong point... think the beer label may take a bit of artistic flair!

Smithy
30-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Not bad. What program did u use?

poleman
30-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Not bad. What program did u use?

Cheers,

Used ****. Downloaded it last week and tried out a few things from some tutorials, then made my mark on them!

AshdonWFC
31-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Cheers,

Used ****. Downloaded it last week and tried out a few things from some tutorials, then made my mark on them!

I told you you could be bothered :)

Looks like a pretty good sig matey. Stands out! :cool:

(**** is awesome)

poleman
31-08-2009, 08:39 AM
TY Ashdon. I've trimmed it down a bit for now as it was too big. I might try and add a bit of background colour to it, but don't want to distract from the text effect too much. I'll post a few when I'm done!

AshdonWFC
03-09-2009, 02:40 AM
Cool tings.

Like the wispy smokey effect of the text, so try and keep that as the main focus. The white on the black background, gives a hard impacting effect to the text, so, try and keep the background toned down maybe. :cool:

mnp
03-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey all,
just back from my venture in the world of stud farming and am now able to spend some more time on graphic design.

just wondering what programs people use to design graphics.

If you're intending to follow any career involving the use of graphics packages, whether its as a graphics designer or anything related (e.g. web design) - then your best bet is to go straight for Photoshop CS4.

Recently, as a registered user of an earlier version of Photoshop Elements, I was sent an offer to upgrade to Photoshop CS4 for half price - which I took up. At the moment, I'm learning Photoshop CS4 and its so amazing and powerful - even for simple stuff.

Otherwise, Photoshop Elements is a good choice since this will get you using the actual Photoshop interface (even if its limited compared with its big brother) and this will help you should you eventually decide to upgrade to CS4 (or 5 when it comes out).

Emmawfc
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Mnp, were you a user of cs3 before cs4?
I want to know the difference, im on cs3 at the minute, its quite annoying that you cant scroll to zoom in and out, that was the best on ps7.

What are the extras on cs4?

Optimistichornet
03-09-2009, 08:32 PM
i only do graphics designing because i find it an interesting time waster, i have no professional interest in it and therefore am loath to spend cash on a program, when that money could be put to far better use on a night out, admittedly a very expensive one.

emma are you entering the graphics comp for september?

mnp
03-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Mnp, were you a user of cs3 before cs4?
I want to know the difference, im on cs3 at the minute, its quite annoying that you cant scroll to zoom in and out, that was the best on ps7.

What are the extras on cs4?

I've never used CS3 so I can't really comment on what the extras are. I purchased CS4 because I was able to get a discount and wanted to improve my graphical abilities - and use an industry standard platform.

Emmawfc
06-09-2009, 10:34 PM
emma are you entering the graphics comp for september?

I may do, ive had an attempt already but im not keen, so if i make a better one then ill enter.
Not been on PS for about a week now though, my pc keeps freezing when i go on it