View Full Version : Bradford Bulls 44-18 Harlequins RL, Sunday 27th May 2007

29-05-2007, 07:51 AM
A long journey to Bradford was awaiting the Quins Rugby League team. After the Bulls got turned over the previous week by the Huddersfield Giants, I was half expecting a backlash, but a good win away at Warrington Wolves in Round 13, gave me some hope of coming away from Odsal with the two points.

We left St Albans around 09:00am and made our way up the A1(M), M62 and then M606 in torential rain arriving in Yorkshire at 11:45am. After a quick bite to eat, we found a pub and sat down to a few beers. After a while, there was a big powercut and it reminded me of how you think of the north, dark and old-fashioned. After the power came back on, the pub started to fill with Bradford fans who were very suprised to see the three of us had made the trip up from London. After a few dodgy looks and some snide remarks, we made our way to the stadium, where we saw a few more Quins fans, but we made our way to the beer tents.

The tickets were very reasonably priced, a 15 for adults and 8 for concessions, but this isnt just for the match, they have three hours of entertainment before the game starts if you want to watch it, although the majority of fans opt for a pre-match pint

Finally, 3pm arrived, and the teams ran out. When the teams were read out, I realised how much stronger the Bulls line up was, with top players like Lesley "The Volcano" Vainikolo and Paul Deacon playing, whereas Harlequins were under strength with a lot of injuries. We congregated with the other Harlequins fans, with around 50 or 60 having made the journey, which out of a crowd of 10,000 isnt that good. What you have to remember is, rugby league isnt that popular in the south and is very much a southern hempishere and northern England sport and had the game been at the Stoop, Bradford would have bought in excess of 2000 fans.

The game started poorly for us and by the half time hooter we were 24-0 down, and in truth, it could have been more with Paul Deacon missing some kicking chances. I must say, at half time I feared the worst, but Quins came out with a bit of heart in the second half, and had a try disallowed, before scoring some trys themselves which gave some hope.

In the end, the game ended up 44-18 with Vainikolo scoring 3 tries and Vagna, Henderson, Morrison, Hawkyard and Deacon scoring trys for the Bulls with Deacon also kicking 6 goals with Jon Wells, Chad Randall and Paul Sykes scoring tries with Paul Sykes kicking 3 goals in reply for the Harlequins. At the end of the game, the Quins team and manager came over to applaud the travelling fans that had been singing for the whole 80minutes.

We got out of the car park at about 17:00 and eventually got back to Hertfordshire at around 20:00. All in all, a very enjoyable day out, despite the result but we have the Wigan Warriors at home on Saturday which should be a very good game which I am also looking forward too.